Tuesday, July 17, 2012

These Things that We Adore

Haven't seen the ocean
in nearly four long years
It's high time I absolve myself
of all these saline fears
I jigsaw like a puzzle
I break to hide my truth
I watch them twirling down the drain
my breath, my love, my youth

Haven't seen a canyon
since that trip I took out West
I often think of moving back
this time to try my best
I was once a broken person
who worked to shield his light
I made the choice, every day
for dull to steal my bright

Haven't seen a beaten path
in far too many days
I fear I might be out of touch
with Earth and all her ways
I walk into the forest
slide my hands beneath the leaves
I feel the ground start to shake
my back contracts and heaves

Haven't said the word "goodbye"
to someone quite like you
You'll always be the one I love
no matter what I do
You took a bird with broken wings
you taught him how to soar
Sometimes we have to watch them fly
these things that we adore

No comments:

Post a Comment