Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Debi & the Christmas Pig

The following piece won the 2012 Kutztown University Bennett Harris Humorous Writing Award.

Debi & the Christmas Pig
Pets never fared all that well in the Lawley household. Somewhere along the line, someone (probably one of my sisters, Erin or Debi) decided that the culprit behind all the mysterious pet deaths that plagued our home for years was my mother, Rosemarie; and much to Mom’s chagrin, every visitor that our home received got quite the earful concerning exactly how she had developed her particularly curious penchant. Tinker, the dachshund, was tied to a tree and mistakenly left to roast in the August sun, sans a bowl of water. A kitten (whose name beseeches me, as it was before my time) was “accidentally” let out the front door to a waiting black Lab who proceeded to rip it to shreds in front of a bus stop of terrified little girls (who are probably still in therapy). And who could forget the hermit crabs, who—after a February bathing in the kitchen sink—received a February drying on the back porch rail. In all honesty, the list goes on and on. We love Mom, don’t get me wrong, but if your neighbor’s Golden Retriever is taking regular shits in the front yard, she’s the one to call. So why was it, then, that sister Deb opted for yet another pet as my parents' Christmas gift in 2003? I’ll never know—but the craziness that ensued has become a thing of legend.
Debi sold timeshare at a non-defunct resort in the Poconos, not far from the home where the three of us grew up in Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania. In that line of work, she tells me, you meet “all kinds of people,” and one of them happened to tell her that pot-bellied pigs make the greatest house pets. “They’re just like lap dogs,” I can still hear her saying over the phone, as she made her way three hours North along Highway 380, toward Piggly Wiggly’s farm where she was picking her “little surprise” up.
“I’m not so sure, Deb,” I said in my most polite, yet firmly doubtful tone. “This whole ‘pig’ thing might not pan out as expected.”
“Trust me. He’s gonna love it,” came her quick reply, clearly referring to my dad, Don, and completely forgetting the fact that this was supposed to be a gift for both of our parents. And in neglecting any thought of our mother, Debi also neglected the fact that Mom grew up inside of a small apartment in New Jersey—where there certainly weren’t any farm animals; and the fact that Mom had refused to set foot on farmland of any kind during her 30+ years in rural Pennsylvania was seemingly neglected too. Oh, and the whole issue of Mom being a pet killer—completely out the window.
I wasn’t along for the three-hour ride back into town with the squealing pig and two children under the age of seven (my niece, Téa—Debi’s daughter—and her cousin, Rah), but it was later reported to Erin and me that circumstances were less than enthralling. At one point, amid the high-pitched screams being emitted by varying species, Rah stared in frustration out the window and whined, “Grandpa’s not gonna like his present.” He too, forgot about Grandma. Résumé
There’s a certain way to give a gift of questionable impact to someone. It has a lot to do with being tactful, and thoughtful, and also requires impeccable timing. Debi had not one of those three things working for her on Christmas Eve when she pulled into the driveway. Inside my parent’s house, Erin and I both knew about the special package that was about to arrive, but suffice it to say my mother was less than prepared when, in an unannounced fashion, Debi hurled open the kitchen door and dropped a yelping, shrieking, seven-pound demon from Hell onto the tiled floor.
The first obstacle that Mr. Piggy was forced to overcome was the kitchen floor itself. Ceramic tiles, apparently, are not optimal material when it comes to gaining traction with a six-week-old set of hooves. I’d say it took about 30 seconds for him to cover a distance of about 40 feet. To my mother, however, I’m sure it felt like 30 minutes. It’s possible that part of the pig’s trouble came from the fact that Mom was belting out some petrifying shrieks of her own.
Once the pig made it over the single step that separates the kitchen from the living room, his pace picked up a good deal. I suppose he was looking for the safest place hide, because the little devil made a bee-line for the Christmas tree. When the coast was clear, Mom made her own bee-line for the tallest piece of furniture she could find, which ended up being the green recliner she spent most evenings seated upon. But for this occasion, she decided to stand, screaming “It’s me or the pig!”
Meanwhile, back at the base of our cut-and-decorated, now shaking-and-shattering evergreen, Dad and Erin were making a feeble attempt at removing the pot-bellied Nightmare-before-Christmas from the house before my mom removed it herself, by whatever means necessary. After a few sloppy moments of grabbing blindly for the pig beneath the tree’s boughs, Dad decided a large box was the best way to go. He quickly retrieved one from the garage and instructed me to stand on the other side of the tree and yell “go pig!” in the loudest and sternest voice I could muster. I did just that—at which point the pig fouled four nearby presents and ran into the corner of the vertically-standing box. Dad closed both of the cardboard doors and rested his foot at the base to extra protection. Silence.
 “Get that thing out of here right now!” Mom barked. “Debi, what were you thinking? You weren’t thinking. If you were thinking, you would’ve thought ‘gee, I shouldn’t bring a live pig to Mom’s house for Christmas dinner,’ wouldn’t you?”
 “It was a present. I heard they make good pets,” Debi sheepishly defended herself against the still-settling chaos. “They’re like lapdogs.”
“I don’t even like dogs, Debi,” Mom snapped back. “Much less a pig that’s supposed to act like a dog. Get it out of here now. Bring it to the S.P.C.A.”
Disappointed and defeated, Debi motioned for me to help her. As we tipped the box onto its long side, it became clear that the pig had urinated while cowering in the dark, and subsequently, on Mom’s floor too. I could feel the cold pee seeping through the deteriorating cardboard with my left hand as we carefully loaded the box into the back of Debi’s Mazda, but, in the spirit of fixing a near-ruined holiday, I ignored it.
When I came back in, my clearly frazzled mother was breaking a Xanax in half and breathing deeply, as if she were at Lamaze class.  Dad was still red and chuckling, Erin just looked at me, wide-eyed but thoroughly amused. We expected that Debi’s trip to the animal shelter would take at least twenty minutes, so Erin and I poured a glass of wine and sat down on the couch to collect ourselves. Imagine our surprise when, less than five minutes later, Debi returned without the pig.
“Where is it, Deb?” Mom asked. “I know you’ve still got it.”
“I don’t,” Debi said in a simple and peaceful voice. “I saw two boys playing down the street, so I stopped and asked them if they wanted a pig. They said ‘yes,’ so I gave it to them,” she smiled. “Now it’s their Christmas pig.”
~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~
            About three months later, traffic was shut down for hours on the local highway, Interstate 80. Through the woods behind my parents’ house, you could see the cars and trucks sitting motionless as night moved in. In the morning, Dad went out for the morning paper like he always does. This time, the headline caught his eye.
 “Wreck of Big Rig Caused by Loose Pig.”

No comments:

Post a Comment