Saturday, March 17, 2012

My Orchard, My Orphanage, etc.

The following three poems will be published in Kutztown University's 2012 Shoofly literary magazine.

2001

High school graduation
Head higher than the skies
Ignoring what they told you
“You’ll see it—time just flies”

First Madonna concert
Drank a box of wine
Lost my keys and dignity
While standing in the line

Acura Integra
Black with shiny rims
Drove it off Old Miller’s Bridge
and nearly severed limbs

Last time I could speak that name
The highway stole her light
I stood over her body
Her blood still seems so bright

Tried so hard to say goodbye
She lives inside my head
Reminding me of what I’ve done—
that one day
I’ll be dead


My Orchard, My Orphanage



Seventeen weeping apple trees
Scattered against a crisp gray sky,
Overgrown limbs fallen slovenly on the ground.
Their fruit gone to waste—
A stinking rot pile of red and brown.
“Your roots are like my own,” I whisper,
“Planted firm in unsteady earth.”
The wind allows each branch to sigh,
Crackling leaves rustle in chorus.

Seventeen weeping boys and girls
Scattered across a field at dusk,
Assembling for the annual St. Anne’s Orphanage photo.
Their minds gone to waste—
A medicated pile of wasted dreams and forgotten hope.
“Your tears are like my own,” I whisper,
“Born of fear, mistrust, and envy.”
Their brains allow their necks to turn.
The shutter clicks our flashbulb darkness.


Overweight, Effeminate Boy

Overweight
effeminate boy
Paint your toes and cry
Hide your face
as they walk past
Don’t look them in the eye

I see you standing
by the pool
Only mirror you go near
I watch your knees
snap like boards
Broken from your fear

Your beauty’s simply
buried deep
So far that they can’t see
Those brilliant colors
shining bright
Your far-off galaxy

Overweight
effeminate boy
It’s freeing when you cry
Close your eyes
kill the pain
You’ll soar before you die

I’ll take you by the hand
old friend
I’ll tell you all I know
Overweight
effeminate boy
My fourteen-year-old Joe


No comments:

Post a Comment